- October 28th, 2018 11:00am start
- 11k and 3k courses (see details)
- No race day registration
- This event has sold out in advance for the past 3 years so be sure to register early.
The Perseverance Trail Run is a community driven, grass roots trail running event held in Cumberland, BC. The race has been organized by volunteers and supported by local sponsoring businesses, since 2004, with the goal of raising funds for the Cumberland Community Forest Society to purchase and protect the Cumberland Forest. Last year, once again, every dollar raised through the Perseverance Trail Run was MATCHED by an anonymous ‘forest fairy’! Thank you for supporting our week of #projectperseverance Fundraising Events including the race, shirt and hat sales, raffle tickets (onsite), new post race Party for the Forest, Online Auction and the exciting Hallow’s Eve Ball. Last year, we helped to raise $230, 000 for the Cumberland Forest!
2018 Schedule of Events:
- 9:00am-10:15am Racer Check In @ Race Central, No 6 Mine Park. Come early to avoid long line ups!
- 10:20am (ish) Costume ‘Dance Off’ Contest. Delicious world famous Cumberland Village Bakery Donuts go to our top kid and adult costume contest winners. This is the perfect chance to test out your Halloween costume. Let’s see what you got!!
- 10:45am (ish) Pre Race Announcements
- 11:00am (ish) Race Start @ ‘Yellow Gate’. We will be walking down together after announcements to the trailhead for our remote start by the ‘yellow gate’ on the corner of Sutton and Comox Lake Roads.
- 11:00am – 3k race starts. 11:01 – 11k race starts. There is a staggered start with the 3kers heading off the line first, followed about 1 minute afterwards by the 11k racers. Seed yourselves based on your ability to run straight up hill off the line. 11K racers: keep in mind that the course jumps into the single track less than .5kms from the start line. 3K racers head into the singletrack right away.
- 11:15am-1pm finish line cheering at Race Central! First 3k racers expected in at 11:10am and first 11k racers at 11:55am.
- 2:00pm (ish) Awards (top 3 in each category receive chocolate medals!), special ‘King and Queen and Prince and Princess of the Forest’ prizes for our overall course winners and a big old pile of Draw Prizes from 2pm ish after all racers are across the line. You must be present to win a draw prize! Hold onto your race bib as you will need to show it as proof of registration in order to enter the racer draw.
- 12noon-4pm Perseverance Party in the Park! Live Music, beef and veggie burgers and dogs with gourmet fixins, covered and heated craft beer gardens, games for the kids and more! Invite your friends and family, bring $ for stub and grub and join us for a celebration of the forest!
Where to Be:
- Race Central: No 6 Mine Park, Derwent Ave, Cumberland
- Parking: Cumberland Recreation Institute, Dunsmuir Ave. Overflow parking across the street at the Cumberland Cultural Centre (parking access off of 1st st) .
- Race Start: ‘Yellow gate’ at the corner of Sutton and Comox Lake Roads
- Race Finish and Party in the Park: No 6 Mine Park
- Showers ($1.85) and Washrooms: Cumberland Recreation Institute, Dunsmuir Ave.
Important Things You Need to Know -AKA The Rules:
- No race day registration, transfers or course swaps. No exceptions. Mahalo for your understanding.
- No Dogs or Strollers on course.
- Wearing headphones can be a hazard to you and those around you while racing. Only 1 ear bud in if you choose to wear head phones, please.
- Courses will be flagged thoroughly but we recommended that you familiarize yourself with the race course maps. Review the course and location of First Aid and Marshal stations in case of emergency. Maps are on the website here.
- Wee ones on the 3k course: Parents/gaurdians are responsible for the safety of their children and should accompany young children on the course. View course map.
- Youth on the 11k course: Children under 14 years of age MUST be accompanied by a registered adult racer at all times on the 11k Long Course. No exceptions.
- 11k Long Course Cut Off: This is a running course. All racers need to reach CP3 within 45 minutes of the race start. This will not be a problem if you are running the course. Racers who do not make this cut off time will be directed to finish the race on a shorter version of the course.
- WALK all bridges! The long course features multiple elevated bridges and these must be walked. No running on elevated bridges for your own safety and the safety of those running near you.
- STAY ON TRAIL! Racers must run on trail- no short cuts and no sidestepping puddles to avoid braiding and damaging surrounding foliage. You are trail runners- embrace the mud and puddles!
- There will be no water on course (well not the water stop kind anyway). The race is unsupported and you must be self sufficient so bring whatever you need including water, fuel and medication.
- We don’t need to remind you to be courteous on the trail and kind to the volunteers! We are all out there to have fun and support the CCFS.
- NO swapping bibs and absolutely NO unregistered racers on course. We need to know who is on the course for YOUR safety.
- If you cannot complete the course for ANY reason, you must return to the FINISH line area and inform our finish line crew that you have pulled out. We don’t want to have to send Search And Rescue out to find you if you have gone home and are having a nap :).
- Thank you for your co-operation!
- We are going cup free again this year! Please bring your own cup/travel mug to fill up with your post race drinks and a spoon to enjoy our famous post race soup. Races can create a huge amount of garbage so let’s make an effort to decrease waste. Thanks for your support!
- Be Social! #perseverancetrailrun to share your photos, videos and play by play of the day!
- Carpool to the race. Parking is limited and carpooling is good for the planet! Even better, ride your bike! Parking: Cumberland Recreation Institute and Cumberland Cultural Centre
- There is construction taking place on Dunsmuir Ave in Cumberland and there are several blocks that are gravel only and bumpy. Drivers should take care and pedestrians should be aware that some sidewalks have been removed. Businesses are open as usual, however, so be sure to stop by and say hello to the Village merchants!
- Washrooms available in the Cumberland Recreation Institute CRI. Showers available for $1.85 in the CRI.
- Bring a change of clothes/shoes so that you can get comfy post race and enjoy the celebrations!
- Bring some $$! Wish you ordered a race shirt or trucker hat now? Want to make a donation? Want to buy a post race burger and beer at the Party in the Park? Want to buy a raffle ticket? You will need to have cash. CASH only, no debit or credit cards accepted at race central, sorry.
- White Caps mobile cafe will be on site creating hot coffee creations by donation for the CCFS so be sure to bring $ for your pre/post run latte fix!
- Cloutier Matthews has sponsored a Perseverance Photo Booth! Photos are by donation and we encourage you to bring a small donation and join the fun!
- Short Course: 3km X-Country Romp. There are a few ups and downs, twists and turns and maybe even a little water. If you like fresh air and want to sample cross country running, then this course is for you. Perfect for all ages and abilities including walkers and the little ones. Wee ones on the 3k course: Parents/gaurdians are responsible for the safety of their children and should accompany young children on the course. View course map.
- Long Course: 11km Mountain Run. This is a classic mountain run with steady climbs, flowing descents, technical single-track and breathtaking vistas. If you are looking for a running challenge – this course is for you. This is a very challenging course with technical terrain and steep sections. Youth on the 11k course: Children under 14 years of age MUST be accompanied by a registered adult racer at all times on the 11k Long Course. No exceptions. View course map.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.